Thursday 18 April 2013

Poetic Devices Used in The Road by Cormac McCarthy


      The poetic device that I think best fits the title of the book The Road by Cormac McCarthy would be pathos. Pathos is a term that describes how the author creates the emotion of sadness or empathy towards the character, pathos is commonly found in books or movies that are usually themed as drama. The reason why I say that this applies to the novel I am currently reading is because in several sections, the author creates a form of suspense that makes me feel pity for the main character. "He held the boy's hand as they stumbled through the woods." (McCarthy 67). The reason why I feel pity towards the main character when he said this was because it made me think that the main character must be feeling alone and frightened for his son and himself.

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, i would have chosen imagery because i can visualize the road that is being described. I do like how you explained your poetic device though. I also like how you went into a lot of detail when you explained the feeling of pity towards his son and himself

    ReplyDelete